Sunday, May 21, 2006

Picture dump!



So here's some other drawings I did today (yes, 3 drawings in one day!). Two are samples for a job with Marshall Cavendish Malaysia. I'm trying out as a book illustrator. Wish me luck.

The third is an itch I needed to scratch. It's a (pretty badly drawn) sketch of an elf archer - I forgot to draw the bloody elf ears -- firing an arrow from a kneeling position in a field. The more I look at it, the more things I hate about it. But one of my resolutions is to draw more and not worry about every piece being a masterpiece. Done super quick (5 minutes?) with a blue pencil, Copic brush pen and a Pentel correction pen for the white grassy bits and the bowstring.

Not particularly proud of it, but I did it, so there it is. The masterpieces will come. But I need to get all the crappy drawings and sketches out of the way first.

Oh yeah, these were scanned on my new scanner (WOOT!) -- a Canon 4200F -- which I picked up from Low Yat Plaza yesterday. The old scanner, a Canon FB310 is 9 years old and was really starting to show it's age (dodgy driver and slow as all hell). It still works, but was starting to be a real pain in the butt.

The new one looks slick as spit and the USB2.0 Hi-Speed interface is nice and quick. The heck is "USB 2.0 Hi-Speed" you ask? That, apparently, is the REAL USB 2.0 running at 480Mbps. If your USB 2.0 device doesn't say "Hi-Speed", it's apparently not really USB 2.0.

Apparently.

6 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to let you know that *I* liked the Elf Archer, and I'm using it as my character photo on another website: http://www.obsidianportal.com/character/kanti

Good work!!

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Sheldon Goh said...

Hey cool! Thanks for (a) letting me know and (b) giving me credit on your profile page. I'm really glad you liked it.

I should revisit this picture some day and do a proper detailed sketch. :)

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Erasmus said...

Hey, I like the elf. Can I use the graphic in a board game I am currently in the process of developing? When I go to production, I can put whatever information you would want in the manual as a thanks for the drawing... "rough sketch" is the style I've been going for in the drawings for the game, and I really like this one (especially since I needed an archer who was not an elf :-P

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Brian z said...

Dude, you do need to stop criticizing it, this one is amazing to what i tried to do , i cant do 3-d or even just angled like that one, and i just work with a pencil, you got amazing talent, the rough look give it the even better masterpiece then a straight drawn one, though id like to c it some time. make sure you type it as a elven archer drawing too. but i must say you got talent for the visual arts :p if that sounds classy enough or ya. lol Gl and keep up your elf archer drawings, id lovee to know how you drew so well.

 
At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Tim said...

Don,

I have used your pic on my contact page I'm developing for my website
Archer Instrumentation & Controls.
I like the quick touch that seems to perfectly capturing the motion of the release.
As an amateur artist, I thought this the best image with "pop" that I could find.
Good luck in getting the illustration gig.

Kind Regards,

Tim

 
At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Ken said...

I am currently using the awesome Elf archer as my FB cover! I was prompted to look up the artist by a friend and will credit you as such! Please come back to this pic, which I think is great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home